District VI - Magnolia Forest Garden Club Slidell LA Deeds and Doings
In the Hammond Daily Star 10/21/2020
St. Joseph's Abbey Field Trip
Members of the Magnolia Forest Garden Club experienced a beautiful and informative field trip to the St. Joseph Abbey in Covington. Our very knowledgeable docent, Fred Mayer, showed us the beautiful murals in the Monk’s rectory, explaining what each portrayed. We toured the beautiful Church and the well maintained and manicured grounds and then the wood working area. Here the expert craftsmen make the coffins and cremation boxes.
The last stop was a tour of the gift shop. Half the Magnolia Forest Garden Club members enjoyed lunch at Café Rani and the others enjoyed Rip’s on the Lake. All the members expressed gratitude for such an amazing field trip. Magnolia Forest Garden Club is a member of Louisiana Garden Club Federation, Inc., National Garden Clubs, Inc., and Deep South Garden Clubs, Inc.
The February meeting of The Magnolia Forest Garden Club was held at the home of Janet Bernard. Her co-hostesses were: Tammy Artalona, Carol Carrigan, Suzanne Robinson and Sandy Solar. The program was an early history of Magnolia Forest Subdivision presented by Lynda Donaldson whose previous husband’s parents (E.L. Edward (Dude) Donaldson purchased 30 acres along with two of his fishing buddies in the 40’s and early 50’s. In the beginning access to the property was either on foot or by boat. A Magnolia Tree Farm was planted by Frank Fischer in 1952 with the land then being settled in 1961: hence the name of the development. Eventually the land was purchased by John Butrey. The first street in Magnolia Forest was Fischer Drive.