It’s no coincidence that the live oak symbolizes strength, stability, and steadfastness; for we cannot imagine what growing up in Louisiana would have been like without spending a good deal of time among the limbs of a majestic live oak tree.
The information contained in the Registry of the Live Oak Society is the copyrighted property of the Louisiana Garden Club Federation and the owners of the Live Oak trees. Anyone else wishing to use the information for any purpose whatsoever must get written permission from the Live Oak Society through its Chairman.
LIVE OAK TREE - REGISTRY ©
LIVE OAK SOCIETY -- CHAIRMAN
For inquiries, further information or to register a live oak Contact:
Coleen Perilloux Landry
17832 RIVER RD
MONTZ LA 70068-8900
The Live Oak: Grand Old Trees
Listen to the podcast here
of an interview with Live Oak Society chairman Coleen Perilloux Landry (5/08/14)
Dr. Edwin Lewis Stephens, Founder
The Live Oak Society (LOS) was founded in 1934 by Dr. Edwin Lewis Stephens, the first president of Southwestern Louisiana Institute (now the University of Louisiana in Lafayette).
The Society promotes the culture, distribution, preservation and appreciation of the live oak tree, scientifically known as Quercus virginiana.
The Live Oak Society began with 43 members chosen by Dr. Stephens and now boasts 8219 members in 14 states and is under the auspices of the Louisiana Garden Club Federation, Inc.
The first president was "The Locke Breaux Oak" in Taft, Louisiana, who lost its life in 1968 due to air and ground water pollution.
Its successor and current president is the "Seven Sisters Oak", formerly known as "Doby's Seven Sisters". The owner who first named the tree was Carole Hendry Doby, who was one of seven sisters. "Seven Sisters Oak" is located in the Lewisburg area of Mandeville, Louisiana on the shore of Lake Pontchartrain. Estimated by foresters to be 1200 years old, this tree has a girth of over 38 feet.
To become a member, a live oak must have a girth (waistline) of eight feet or greater.
Girths over 16 feet are classified as centenarian.
Girths over 16 feet are classified as centenarian.
There is nothing more beautiful than an ancient Live Oak........
TO VIEW A PHOTO BELOW - CLICK ON IT
The "RED CHURCH OAK", #671, split in two in August, 2012. It was registered during the 200th anniversary celebrations of St. Charles Borromeo Church Parish in Destrehan. It is believed that the rest of the oak can be saved. This oak was cut down in 2013 by the pastor of St. Charles Borromeo, Fr. Tom McCann, and the world has lost another historical tree.
The Abbot Paul Schaueble Oak #2464 St. Joseph's Abbey, St. Benedict, LA. According to Br. Gabriel Rivet, on Nov. 13, 1957 at midnight a powerful storm went through St. Joseph's Abbey in Covington blowing out many of the windows in the church and strewing the pipes in the massive pipe organ into the walls like daggers. The mid section of the Oak was wiped out and a sizable split incurred. Fr. John LeBlanc, a Benedictine monk, refused to cut the tree. Instead he secured it with bolts and heavy braces and it still thrives today, depicting the true spirit of resiliency of the live oak. © Guy Sternberg
THE MONSIGNOR JEAN EYRAUD OAK # 3054 Reserve, LA was blessed by New Orleans Auxiliary Bishop Roger Morin. With the Bishop is Coleen P. Landry, Chairman of LOS. The Tree is named for a French born priest who served as pastor at St. Peter's Church for half a century. The Archdiocese of New Orleans is seeking to have Msgr. Eyraud beatified for sainthood. The tree lives in a corner of St. Peter's Cemetery.
OLD DICKORY #4205 was saved from destruction in 2003. In a campaign led by the Live Oak Society, a LA highway project was redesigned, a U. S. Army Corps of Engineers; drainage project was restructured and a land developer's plan for a subdivision was revised. Never have so many agencies worked together so completely in such a short time to save a historic tree. Because of OLD DICKORY the LA DOTD has begun mapping the registered live oaks to prevent future conflicts with roadways. Jefferson Parish is also mapping the registered oaks and is now the trustee of OLD DICKORY which was donated to the public trust by the land developer. This is setting a precedent for other states who are studying Louisiana's plan. © Coleen Perilloux Landry
"The tidal surge of Katrina destroyed everything in its path at West End in New Orleans, restaurants, fishing piers, and the marina with its millions of dollars of fishing boats and sailboats. However, Katrina could not destroy the valiant live oaks at West End, which is why the live oak is considered "the hurricane oak" noted for its ability to withstand high winds and its ability to save and protect people who climb into its branches during hurricanes." © Coleen Perilloux Landry
NANNY'S OAK # 4819 was named in honor of Lucille Nelson Lewis in Carteret County, Marshallberg, NC. Girth is 17 ft. 9 in. History proves that at least six generations of the Lewis family have played in and under this oak. It served as a gathering place for friends and neighbors in the evening and its branches held a large swing. During Mrs. Lewis' funeral the pastor referred to her and the oak as being neighborhood landmarks. The oak tree belonged to Mrs. Lewis'; ancestors beginning in the 1800's.
THE BEAUTIFUL OAKS OF CARVILLE Located in the town of Carville, LA along the Great River Rd. is the place known the world over as "Carville", the only place of its kind in the continental U.S. Built by the State of Louisiana for leprosy patients in 1894 it is still a place where one can experience the pain, joy and love that occurred there in the years of treatment and research. It was staffed by doctors of the U.S. Public Health Service and the nuns of the Daughters of Charity during its busiest days. There are still patients living at Carville and USPHS staff caring for them. A cemetery on the grounds tells the story of the lives of the people who were stricken with the disease and who lived and died at Carville. Great strides have been made in medical research of leprosy since the hospital was opened in 1894 and it is no longer the incurable disease it once was.